Thursday, January 05, 2006

Social Events: Free Geographic Edutainment

I enjoy free GIS seminars, such as the ESRI Live Training Seminars, and podcasts such as Very Spatial and Where It's At.... I suppose there must be other folks (other geeks?) on campus here at UT Arlington who do or would enjoy this as well.

So, I figure let's all hang out and enjoy these snippets of free geographic edutainment together...right?

Well, I am starting off with the next ESRI Live Training Seminar, which is focused on spatial statistics. This is perfect as the number of folks from a variety of disciplines on campus needing to test/adjust for spatial autocorrelation is growing every semester.

I reserved one of the classrooms in the library with 27 PCs, all loaded with ArcGIS 9 and two mounted projectors. This way the screens can display the video and the room's speakers can pump out the audio, while everyone can either follow along on their own PCs (muted) or even play around with the concepts during the seminar.

I think this should be a lot of fun and hopefully this will help to bring the diverse GIS-dabbling folks on campus together. And if it's just me...well, hey I'll have the best seat in the house.

Should this be successful, I want to test this out with the Very Spatial podcast. Of course there is no video, but if there is something else going on at the same time, such as a geography game/contest, food, or something, perhaps it will be more enjoyable than just sitting and listening. Pizza, beer, and GIS...lovely isn't it??

No comments: