Download Full Workshop Materials
View Zohoshow Presentation
View Google Maps Demo
This has been a whirlwind frantic rush to pull together but just about everything is ready to go for this afternoon's GIS workshop. Should be a great one...
Dr. Melanie Sattler, Civil & Environmental Engineering professor, will lead the workshop with a 30 minute discussion of why air pollution is important in the D/FW Metroplex and discuss the various campus research efforts to study and model air quality.
I will then lead everyone though a hands-on GIS exercise that will include the following steps:
- Calculate total pounds of air emissions within 5 miles of everyone's home address (using spatial join)
- View distribution of emissions across region (using fishnet polygon)
- Join various measurement data to air monitoring stations (such as ozone and wind direction)
- Calculate estimation of ozone concentrations for entire region (using IDW)
- Calculate average ozone concentrations for highway road segments (using spatial join)
Data Sources Include: